Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Dear India,
November 17, 2009: Letter to myself
Attention! Attention loyal fans! The
moment has arrived! Here he comes! From Amrika... one of the best batsmen to have graced the far reaches of Kutch... the man who came to our cozy corner of India 9 months prior, having minuscule language capabilities and now a proficient Gujarati speaker - with his best friends in attendance: the dudhwalla, the local vegetable vendor, the Raj Ice Cream proprietor (we all know him well!), his favorite chaiwalla, and the boys who run the neighborhood Cyber Cafe - and the sweets shop owner, and of course all of his coworkers at Hunnarshala, friends at KMVS and Khamir - where over the last half year he has narrowed down his professional focus, made lasting connections, and ultimately worked towards defining his personal and career goals - indeed all have come out to see him in the great cricket tournament match he had helped to organize throughout town - nay - for his daily games with the local kids on the dirt lots. For he has left a lasting impression on our little town and it would be wrong not to say that we have imprinted a little bit on him as well! I've heard he no longer swells, sweats, and groans at our tasty foods full of masala! He dons his brightly colored kurtas everyday, and of all varieties, styles, and lengths! He converses on the latest Bollywood hit and joins us all for ice cream a few nights a week. He recounts Indian history to us, and vocalizes his desires to travel the length of our great country, always hungry to learn more (of course after Kutch, what's the point of seeing anything else?)! And from him, we too have learned so much! As we have taught him to cook daal, chapatti, and puris, he has likewise versed us in delicacies known as chocolate chip cookies and macaroni and cheese. But I must digress from all of this and return to our original reason for being here. On the eve of his final departure, to continue his work in our region with the best of intentions, having learned and lived greatly, and become an Indian in his own right (by Kutchi standards of course) - we present to you the man of the hour - nay of the last 9 months - having received 3 overs and down to the last ball - his team down by 5... No matter the outcomes of the bowl, his vision of a meaningful Indian experience and a clearer professional path has been achieved, and Bhuj shall not easily forget this right-handed batsman. Ise samman ke liye Andrews bhai, danyavad. Danyavad.
August 11, 2010:
Dear India,
Let's see here:
1. I didn't really play any cricket or organize any tournaments
2. My Gujarati fluctuates extremely from day to day
3. I never actually met the Raj Ice Cream dude
4. The Cyber Cafe kids tried to rip me off every time I went in there
5. Bollywood really wasn't my thing
6. I still occasionally cry when eating Indian food, and thus
7. I have not learned to cook any Indian food
8. With no ovens round here, chocolate chip cookies were definitely a no-show
OK so I haven't exactly accomplished 90% of the things I set out to do, but I did figure some important things out. I got some good experience. I narrowed down my career focus. I made some friends. I learned about a culture and a people and a place I didn't know squat about before. I sweated a lot. I ate a lot. I didn't exercise at all. I traveled a ton. I taught some English. I was challenged. I drove over way too many potholes. I was frustrated. I was made to be uncomfortable. I changed my mind a bunch. I altered my philosophies, made up a few more. I gained clarity. I gained above all patience. I guess 90% of things in that letter didn't happen, but then again, this is India. Things never do go the way you plan them to. So you adapt. And live with it. And I did. And I had a once in a lifetime experience. I am lucky to have had it. But now it's time to jet. So, peace out India. It's been swell. I'll come back and see you soon though. Fo sho.
Love,
Andrews
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Bravo Mr. Andrews. When you get back, we're making your blog into a book.
ReplyDelete