Some of you may know me as a numbers-crazed Excel-obsessed expenses-rocking maniac. Well I can't deny these claims. Due to this obscene nature, I have compiled a lot of numbers, averages and statistics over the last 10 months, because, well, most of the time I didn't have much else to do. And I drew some MS Paint maps. You will find some of these below:
395 hours on long distance buses and trains, about 16 1/2 days total.
6 the percentage of my time in India spent on those long distance buses and trains.
3 times I got diarrhea
18 times I transited through Ahmedabad on the way to somewhere else
2.57 average amount in US dollars spent daily on food in India
11 Indian states visited, of 28
67 amount in US dollars of my monthly rent in Bhuj for the last 10 months
10.41 amount in US dollars of the most expensive meal I paid for in India
5 the percentage on average of my monthly expenses that go to ATM bank fees ($7 each time!)
0.70 cost in US dollars of my daily 3-course delivered lunch
4 the number of times I've had any alcohol in the last 10 months
13 cost in US dollars of a Hard Rock Cafe Pune lapel pin I bought in June, the most expensive pin I've ever bought. If you didn't already know, I collect pins.
8 number of other AJWS fellows (out of 9) I was able to visit in the last 10 months. Sorry Hannan!
5.84 cost in US dollars of my May 2010 utility bill, the most expensive one I had all year (cheapest: $1.54 in February)
1 times I played soccer barefoot in the monsoon
15 seconds, the average length of time between loss of power (and fan cutting out) and profuse sweating at night
9 times it rained in Bhuj, all year
118 degrees Fahrenheit, the hottest it reached in Bhuj, in May
48 hours, the length of the longest continuous train ride I took in India (Ahmedabad to Bihar, in January)
10.46 average cost in US dollars that I spent per day on personal travel in India (includes transport, lodging, and food)
4 times I went to Mumbai, and, amount of times I went to The Bagel Shoppe when in Mumbai
40 approximate number of mosquito bites I got on my last, 3-day trip to Bihar
7 number of different airports I have been through in India
0.10 cost in US dollars of my daily 10-minute rickshaw ride to the office (5 rupees)
0.20 cost in US dollars of a pound of bananas in Bhuj
6 approximate cost in US dollars to buy khadi (cotton) and get a shirt tailor made in Bhuj
7 the amount of months (of 10) that I have needed to sleep every night with the fan on full power
1 mouse found in my bed
40 blog posts and counting! Never thought I'd keep it up!
And had way too much fun with this:
(solid lines are ground travel, dotted are air)
Thanks to everyone for reading the blog. I've got about 2 more posts left before the end, so stay tuned. The next one coming up will be "The Best and Worst of..." and I've been waiting for months to post it! Check back soon.
You are a master statistician. And thank you -- right up top -- for posting the sheiss stat. Didn't think they had SS6 in India.
ReplyDelete1. I think you've just managed to answer the age old question of 'how do you measure, measure a year?' (or, 9 months).
ReplyDelete2. You smashed my count for long distance travel. I sit at a measly 174 hours. well done
3. No worries about never making it to Nagpur. Lets face it...Nagpur is far...from everything.
It's always a joy to find a another numbers OCD person!
ReplyDelete