
2nd Night: Colgate toothpaste box menorah. Item #2: manual firestarterthing. Defying logic, this thing sparks when you simply push the button inwards, and which, when applied to a burner with the gas flowing, ignites a stove. Since the manual gas stove is used at least twice a day to make meals, this is handy. Or you could always use matches. Uses: magically lighting gas stove. Usefulness: 4/5. Price: 50 rupees ($1 USD).
3rd Night: Colgate toothpaste box menorah. Item #3: Lonely Planet India and Learn Hindi book. Where would I be without a Lonely Planet Guidebook? Necessary for navigating the countryside on our rare, free 2-day weekends. Hindi book used to attempt to communicate with locals (who don't speak Hindi actually). Uses: traveling, talking, pleasure reading, 5lb. weight in backpack. Usefulness: 3/5. Price: $26.95 USD.
4th Night: Colgate toothpaste box menorah. Item #4: immersion rod hot water heater! My favorite item in the apartment. When I plug this guy into the wall socket, and place it in the large bucket filled with water, once again magic happens. 10 minutes and many bubbles later, I have hot water. And then the shower I take (coupled with item #5 below) is almost as if I'm in a shower back in the US. Ah but a disclaimer comes with this one: extreme caution must be used not to be electrocuted (I've met many people who have been). Uses: hot water creator, hot shower enabler, emotional comforter. Usefulness: 5/5. Price: 200 rupees ($4 USD).
6th Night: Colgate toothpaste box menorah. Item #6: latke mix. Intersection between US, Judaism, and India. Local delicious materials, foreign cultural celebration. This mixture allows us to bridge the gap between Americans and Indians, Jews and Hindus. Story of Hanukkah explained, latke cooking instructions taught. Uses: cross cultural exchange maker. Usefulness: 5/5 (Deliciousness: 10/10). Price: 10 rupees per latke ($0.20 USD).
7th night: Colgate toothpaste box menorah. Item #7: Indian friends and Hanukkah party. Bhuj is a small town and so any outing is not complete without my batch of Bhujies. These are my new friends and we pass the time eating, talking, and playing badminton mostly. When the summer comes, this will include getting ice cream every night. Although most of them are my coworkers as well, we hang out almost every day after work. Uses: emotional support, mooching off their food, badminton and frisbee partners. Usefulness: 5/5. Price: priceless.
8th night: Colgate toothpaste box menorah. Item #8: Heinz Ketchup and peanut butter jar. Ah American food, I cannot leave thee behind no matter where I venture. these two products symbolize the overwhelming influence my taste buds have on my life and my wallet. Yes I dish out 65 and 99 rupees respectively for these two, overpriced products. But, they are necessary. Where every single thing found in this country has some bit of "masala" or spice, these two bland products keep me going. Peanut butter and (orange) jelly sandwiches are made on a daily basis. Potatoes are cut up in the shape of french fries, fried, and topped with ketchup. Thousand island dressing is made. I am satisfied. Uses: salivary satisfaction, happiness enducing. Usefulness: 5/5. Price: 164 rupees all together ($3 USD).
Some more pictures from our Hanukkah bash:

Brilliant!
ReplyDeleteOh, the comforts of home!
Colgate menorah = win.
ReplyDeleteGetting electrocuted = lose
Guatemalan showers = Josh getting electrocuted
Marina, guate spiders = I die
ReplyDelete